Sunday, 31 January 2010

Dicky Doodle

Dicky Doodle was the mar of Kendal around the time of king Richard I. I intend to tell his tale visually.
I am currently experimentin with this and have created a story cabinet, a collection of found object which tell his tail.

See if you can guess what happened in his story before you google it :-)

Friday, 15 January 2010

my new project

The title is "Rituals".
I have been looking into story telling. so fare Greek myths and Folk tails.
any input would be welcome.
I'll let you know how it goes :-)

end of term assesment

this was my presentation...

Monday, 19 October 2009

FOOD is the title of my first project on this course.

I started as we all did with a brain storm, from this I realized that could go practically anywhere with this title, scientific structures to which craft was just 2 of the ideas that i came up with. In the end i decided to go with the quote "you are what you eat", I believe this was the result of our tutors request for us to keep a food diary for 1 day.

My initial idea is to use this food diary and display the food recorded as becoming apart of someone. I have set some food in resin as an experiment.

I set 1/2 a tomato, 1/2 a grape, a leaf of spinach and a sprig of coriander in some clear embedding resin, I then sanded and polished it.

As you can see the fruit seams to have reacted with the resin and is not showing its true colour, this could be solved by coating the food in something before placing it in the resin but more experimentation is needed.

I have also found out that there is currently no facilities in the University to do casting or vacuum molding, which was an integral part of this idea. Although I, in doing this test piece, have found out that it is possible to carve into the resin once it has set. I have always wanted to try my hand at carving so my next step down this line will be to try some carving with wood, using a rotary tool as this is, so I'm told, the most effective tool to use on the hard resin.

Monday, 12 October 2009

Last week we were asked to swede (make a short low budget version of) "Independence Day"
and this is what wee came up with

This, as well as being god fun, showed me the power of improvisation. There were several points in the production of this that we had to deviate from our original plan and work out other ways of doing things. the main one being the burning of New York, we wanted to use some kind of small explosive and lighter fluid so it would really go up with a bang! we were told that this would be a health and safety nightmare!and that no flammable liquids could be used. Our hearts sank but with the use of some scrunched up news paper and a helpful tutor New York burnt to the ground.

For some strange reason the first half of the film is in fast forward, i apologizes for this error and hope that it does not impede your viewing pleasure ;-)

Monday, 5 October 2009

let the games begin

Our summer project was to create a 6 player game...
I came up with Bat Ball.

It was good fun and has loads of room for development!
I was bouncing ideas around with another member of my team, we were thinking of ways to make the concept of this game in to an instillation piece, so who knows where Bat Ball will lead.